As the Syrian conflict continues into its seventh year, questions on the future of Syria’s education, research and medical system are incredibly pressing. On October 6-8, 2017, SAMS hosted its 4th National Symposium at the Andaz Hotel in New York City. The symposium will focus on the theme of A Call to Action for Future Syria: A Coalition on Education and Research.
The symposium brought together speakers such as SAMS President Dr. Ahmad Tarakji, SAMS Board Member Dr. Mohamed Sekkarie, SAMS Board Member Dr. Amjad Rass, Dr. Ron Waldman of Doctors of the World, Dr. Satchit Balsari ofthe Harvard François-Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights, award-winning educator and SAMS Member Dr. Conrad Fischer, Dr. Susan Kawamleh, Dr. Paul Spiegel.
The Global Platform for Syrian Students participated also in the Symposium and made a presentation on Building a Coalition on establishing and coordinating Medical residency programs in Syria.
The objectives of the symposium were to
- Describe strategies for creating a global platform for Syrian students and recall opportunities for medical residency programs
- Identify population health needs of Syria and approaches to improve health outcomes
- Recognize uses of data analysis in research, collective intelligence
- Identify benefits of telemedicine and discuss various augmented reality options
- Describe World Bank initiatives for recovery and reconstruction in Syria