The Global Platform for Syrian Students participated in the side event on "Value-based Education: Guiding the Next Generation towards Humanitarian Principles â€“ also in Emergencies" organised in the framework of the World Humanitarian Summit 2016 by the Swiss Confederation and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
Increased humanitarian needs, protracted crises, violence, conflicts, natural disasters and regionalised complex emergencies, such as forced displacement and migration, are all humanitarian challenges calling for sustainable solutions. Humanitarian education, or values-based education, is an essential pillar to find such solutions and prevent human suffering, strengthen resilience as well as guarantee high-quality education in emergencies in the context of the UN global education agenda 2030.
- Manuel Bessler, Ambassador, Head of Swiss Humanitarian Aid
- Sarah Smith, Senior Director for Children and Youth Protection and Development for the International Rescue Committee IRC
- Werner Kerschbaum, Secretary General of the Austrian Red Cross
- Helena Barroco, Diplomatic Adviser to President Sampaio, Global Platform for Syrian Students
- Marie-Esther Rouffet, Member of the IFRC Youth Commission