On the World Refugee Day, the Global Platform for Higher Education in Emergencies (former Higher Education for Syrian Students - GP4SYS) renews its commitment to boosting higher education opportunities for young people from conflict-affected societies, refugees, students in forced displacement and at risk.
This year the motto for the World Refugee Day is “Together we heal, learn and shine”. The Global Platform for Higher Education in Emergencies joins the United Nations and other international partners to highlight the power of education – in particular higher education – to transform young people lives and build hope for the future.
Furthermore, we joined the European Students’ Union (ESU) and as a contribution to its campaign Students and Youth in Action for World Refugee Day, we are pleased to announce that our YES FUND (standing for Youth Education Solidarity FUND) IS ON
WHAT IS THIS YES FUND ALL ABOUT ?
· Each student makes a gift of at least 1 euro/dollar/pound at the time of his/her annual enrollment
· Members of the local academic community may join this effort
· Each Higher Education Institution develops for a matching gift programme
· Each Higher Education Institution raises these YES gifts all together
· Each Higher Education Institution sets up a YES Task force
· The Yes Task Force decides on the allocation of its YES gifts
· Each Higher Education Institution informs the YES global task force on an annual basis of the Yes gifts raises and of its allocation
· The YES global task disseminates information about the YES Global Fund
As there are 235 million higher education students at global level, 235 million euros/dollars/pounds can be raised every year to fund scholarships for refugees, forcibly displaced students and students at risk.
The YES! Fund aims at contributing the 15by30 target proposed by UNHCR thus ensuring that 15% of young refugee women and men, or approximately 500,000 refugees in total can access higher education by 2030.
Students, scholars, researchers, higher education managers and the academic community: show solidarity, take care of your peers.
Everyone can do their part!
To know more about the YES! Fund, check out this presentation.
For further information, do not hesitate to contact us.